Most conventional teaching methods used in the classroom are deductive in nature. This is why teachers often wonder why it is still difficult to get students excited about learning despite the use of a wide range of teaching methods. What most teachers don’t realize is that learning only gets exciting if the brain that is used for acquiring knowledge and skills is actively and deliberately engaged. This Brain based teaching methods online continuing education course puts forth 22 such teaching strategies that are brain friendly (or commonly known as brain based), which are also essentially, Learning-Centered (as opposed to merely being student-centered). These 22 brain based teaching methods have proven over and over again to get students excited about learning, along with making them fully active in the process of education. Apart from gaining the right attitudes and skills to significantly improve teaching practices in the classroom, teachers would also be able to earn continuing education units from the Heritage Institute, Washington, USA, upon successful completion of the course along with all the assessment requirements therein. These continuing education credits for teachers enable them to renew their teaching certificate or license.
The ultimate learning outcome to be achieved by teachers who enroll for this (continuing education units) course is to EXPERIMENT WITH and UTILIZE BRAIN FRIENDLY TEACHING METHODS (or commonly known as Brain Based Teaching Methods) in their own classroom teaching. This online continuing education course for teachers is also intended to have them CREATE, DOCUMENT, and PUBLISH their own, new, unique and innovative BRAIN FRIENDLY TEACHING METHODS, which they could share with teachers worldwide.
BFT METHODS (or commonly known as Brain Based Teaching Methods) ARE USED TO…
- break monotony and move away from one-way lecturing
- give learners ownership of learning
- reinforce learning through meaningful repetition
- allow for personalization of learning where students restate knowledge in their own words and experiential contexts, allowing for what Jean Piaget calls meaningful “assimilation” and “accommodation”
- encourage and instill critical and creative thinking, in the actual sense of the words!
- create safe, positive and conducive classroom climate that allows for lateral thinking
CHARACTERISTICS BFT METHODS (or commonly known as Brain Based Teaching Methods)
- all methods correspond to how the brain really learns, hence are BRAIN FRIENDLY (or commonly known as BRAIN BASED)
- brief & easy to execute
- sprinkled deliberately throughout lessons
- highly engaging and involving of EVERY learner
- demanding of higher order thinking
- demanding of personal responsibility for learning process – being active learner is NOT an option ! It is a REQUIREMENT
- teacher role is one of designer and provider of opportunities for thinking to take place
- student role is to engage in and celebrate one’s own and peers’ natural capacity to think critically and creatively, along with appreciating diversity and depth of ideas generated through collaborative means, in safe and conducive learning environment
PROGRAMME LESSONS (BFT METHODS)
- Course Overview
- Human Flowchart
- ‘Draw’ the Meaning
- Word Find
- Secret Coding
- What Is It Not?
- Amplify and Simplify
- Where’s My Other Half?
- I’ve Got Something to Say
- What Could It Be?
- Voting for the ‘Best’ Definition
- In-group – Out-group – In-group
- Acquiring Examples
- Disappearing Words
- Peer Critique
- Act It Out
- Where do You Stand?
- MIA (Multiple Intelligences in Action)
ASSESSMENT REQUIREMENTS AND CERTIFICATION
Students who successfully complete the 24 lessons + score 100% on the 112 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) would obtain:
Certificate of Achievement in Brain Friendly Teaching (BFT) Methods from IKON EPC (digital copy)
Additionally, students who wish to obtain six (6) Continuing Education Units (CEUs) from The Heritage Institute, Washington, U.S.A. could write to firstname.lastname@example.org to seek information about additional assessment requirements to be completed to qualify for the above-mentioned Professional Development credits. Note: Additional fee of $149 applies.
WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU ENROLL FOR THE PROGRAMME?
- “Engaging Teaching Methods” eBook
- Twenty-two (22) Ready-to-Use Brain Friendly Teaching (BFT) Methods
- Certificate of Achievement from IKON EPC (digital copy)
- Opportunity to earn U.S. CEUs / PDUs / WA Clock Hours (additional fee and assessment requirements apply)